Riesling Rendezvous, one of the world’s premier international gatherings of Riesling experts, opens this Sunday, running from July 14-16 at Chateau Ste. Michelle in Woodinville, Washington. We’re very proud to co-host this event with our Eroica Riesling partner Chateau Ste. Michelle.
One of things we love best about Riesling Rendezvous is the chance to rub elbows with the world’s foremost Riesling winemakers. So we’re very excited that Wilhelm Weil, winemaker at Weingut Robert Weil, will be attending.
If you’re not yet familiar with Weingut Robert Weil, you’re in for a treat. These extraordinary Rieslings from Germany’s Rheingau region are truly amazing.
Here’s a little about the Weil estate and wines to pique your interest.
Founded in 1875, Weingut Robert Weil is considered to be one of the Rheingau’s younger wine estates. It is located in the heart of Kiedrich, a village first documented in the year 950. Kiedrich Turmberg and Kiedrich Gräfenberg, the estate’s top vineyards, are among the finest sites in the Rheingau.
The estate cultivates 70 hectares (173 acres) of vineyards, of which 98 percent are planted with Riesling. Today, Wilhelm Weil, the great-grandson of the estate’s founder, carries on the tradition of uncompromising, quality-oriented vineyard and cellar practices – a tradition that has been the hallmark of the winery for four generations.
Kiedrich Turmberg and Kiedrich Gräfenberg are situated on a southwest-facing ridge and a steep cliff with inclines of up to 60 percent. Their soils consist of deep and medium-deep stony, fragmented phyllite partially mixed with loess and loam. This combination of barren stony soils, an ideal microclimate, steep inclination and southwestern exposure allows the grapes to hang on the vine for a very long time. The resulting wines are complex and rich in minerals, with great elegance and finesse.
The vineyards are cultivated in an environmentally friendly manner: organic fertilizer is used as needed; green cover is planted in alternating rows to optimize the humus content of the soil; herbicides are never used, and other plant protection measures are used only sparingly and with respect for habitat.
Grapes are harvested by hand, with an extremely critical selection that involves up to 17 rounds through the vineyards. The goal of this meticulous attention is to reap the finest fruit possible for wines in every Prädikat level.
THE WINES (Available from our Loosen Bros. USA portfolio)
The character of Robert Weil Rieslings is marked by the mineral-rich soils of the vineyards. These wines offer nuanced flavors and bouquets, and a perfect interplay of fine yet firm acidity with natural sweetness and extract.
Estate wines: sourced from parcels that neighbor the estate’s classified single-vineyard sites.
- Riesling Dry: A full-bodied dry Riesling that pairs well with fresh fish and many other lighter dishes.
- Riesling Tradition: Bright and juicy, this is a more fruit- driven Riesling for daily enjoyment.
- Riesling Kabinett: A delicate, off-dry Riesling with moderate alcohol.
Classified, single-vineyard wines: exclusively from the steep hillside vineyards of Weingut Robert Weil.
- Kiedrich Turmberg Riesling Trocken: Deep in mineral- driven aroma and rich on the palate — a distinctive Riesling that comes from Weil’s wholly owned parcel beneath the medieval Gräfenberg tower.
- Kiedrich Gräfenberg Riesling Trocken Erstes Gewächs: A lush, ripe and full-bodied dry Riesling that is carried nimbly on a fine mineral frame. The epitome of Rheingau’s “First Growth” bottlings, this is regularly judged to be among the best Rieslings of Germany.
- Kiedrich Gräfenberg Riesling Spätlese: This is a wine of stunning nobility and richness, with many layers of complex fruit balanced by muscular minerality
MEET WILHEM WEIL AT RIESLING RENDEZVOUS!
We hope to see you at Riesling Rendezvous, where you’ll be able to meet Wilhem Weil in person and taste these wonderful wines for yourself! The Grand Tasting for the public is Sunday, July 14. All other events are for the wine trade only. More info at www.rieslingrendezvous.com.